Canada's Digital Nomad Visa is a new program that allows individuals who work remotely to live and work in Canada for up to six months. The Digital Nomad Visa was announced in June 2023 to encourage remote workers to work in Canada launched in June 2023 and is open to anyone who meets the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be working for an employer outside of Canada.
- Your job must be able to be performed remotely from anywhere in the world.
- You must have sufficient funds to support yourself and any dependents during your stay in Canada.
- You must meet all other Canadian immigration requirements, including health, security and criminal background checks.
Digital nomads who work for a foreign employer can stay in Canada for up to six months under current immigration rules, without a work permit. A digital nomad only needs visitor status to relocate to Canada. Under the Canada Digital Nomad Visa, if a digital nomad finds a job with a Canadian employer, they can apply for a temporary work permit and stay in Canada for another 3 years.
The Digital Nomad Visa was created to support Canada's Tech Talent Strategy, 6 new immigration strategies to recruit foreign workers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) – including data scientists, software developers and programmers, mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries, and electrical and electronics engineers. There are no specific skills or experience requirements for the Digital Nomad Visa. However, the Canadian government has stated that they are particularly interested in attracting tech workers, entrepreneurs and other highly skilled workers. Canada's immigration minister Sean Fraser said that the digital nomad visa is intended to help fill labour shortage it faces in “key tech occupations:”
“It’s an incredible opportunity for people who want to test-drive Canada and if they decide they want to commit once their time is up, we’re quite happy to have them.”
- Canada Immigration Minister Sean Fraser
How To Apply For A Canada Digital Nomad Visa
To apply for the Digital Nomad Visa, you will need to submit an application to the Canadian government. The application process is expected to be similar to the process for other Canadian visas.
Here are some examples of people who may be eligible for the Canada Digital Nomad Visa:
- Software engineers
- Web designers
- Content creators
- Virtual assistants
- Social media managers
If you are unsure whether you are eligible for the Digital Nomad Visa, you can contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or consult a Canada immigration lawyer for more information.
Why Canada is a Great Place for Digital Nomads
Canada is a great place for digital nomads for a number of reasons. The country has a strong economy, a stable political system, and a high quality of life. Canada is also home to a diverse population and a rich culture. 3 Canadian cities - Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver - have consistently ranked in the top 10 most livable cities in the world!
Here are some of the benefits of living and working in Canada as a digital nomad:
- Access to high-speed internet: Canada has a well-developed internet infrastructure, with high-speed internet available in most parts of the country.
- Affordable cost of living: The cost of living in Canada is generally lower than in other developed countries, such as the United States and the United Kingdom.
- Friendly and welcoming people: Canadians are known for being friendly and welcoming to people from all over the world.
- Diverse landscape: Canada has a diverse landscape, with everything from mountains and lakes to prairies and cities.
- Multicultural society: Canada is a multicultural society, with people from all over the world living and working together.
More About Canada Digital Nomad Visas:
- Canada's New Digital Nomad Plan and Other Tech Immigration Initiatives
- Digital Nomad Visa: How To Be A Remote Worker in Canada
- Podcast: How Digital Nomads Can Work in Canada
How a Canadian Immigration Lawyer Can Help Foreigners Apply for a Digital Nomad Visa
Canada is a popular destination for digital nomads, thanks to its strong economy, stable political system and high quality of life. However, the application process for the Digital Nomad Visa can be complex and time-consuming. A Canadian immigration lawyer can help foreigners apply for a Digital Nomad Visa in a number of ways.
1. Assess your eligibility
The first step in applying for a Digital Nomad Visa is to assess your eligibility. A Canadian immigration lawyer can review your qualifications and determine whether you meet all of the requirements for the visa. This includes ensuring that you have a valid passport, sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Canada, and a job that can be performed remotely.
2. Gather the required documentation
Once you have established your eligibility, you will need to gather the required documentation for your application. This includes a completed application form, passport photos, proof of funds, and a letter of invitation from your employer. A Canadian immigration lawyer can help you gather all of the required documentation and ensure that your application is complete and accurate.
3. Submit your application
Once you have gathered all of the required documentation, you will need to submit your application to the Canadian government. A Canadian immigration lawyer can help you submit your application online or by mail. They can also help you track the status of your application and keep you updated on any developments.
4. Represent you in an interview
If you are invited to an interview for your Digital Nomad Visa application, a Canadian immigration lawyer can represent you and answer any questions that the interviewer may have. They can also help you prepare for the interview and ensure that you are well informed about the visa application process.
5. Appeal or provide alternative options if your application is denied
If your Digital Nomad Visa application is denied, a Canadian immigration lawyer can help you appeal the decision. They can review your application and identify any areas where it may have been lacking. They can also help you find alternative opportunities to immigrate to Canada.
A Canadian immigration lawyer can provide valuable assistance to foreigners who are applying for a Digital Nomad Visa. They can help you assess your eligibility, gather the required documentation, submit your application, represent you in an interview, and appeal a refused application.
Additional Benefits of Working with a Canadian Immigration Lawyer
In addition to the services listed above, a Canadian immigration lawyer can also provide the following benefits to foreigners who are applying for a Digital Nomad Visa:
- Peace of mind: Working with a Canadian immigration lawyer can give you peace of mind knowing that your application is being handled by a qualified professional.
- Increased chances of success: Canadian immigration lawyers are familiar with the latest visa laws and regulations. They can also help you avoid common mistakes that can lead to a refused application.
- Personalized attention: Canadian immigration lawyers can provide personalized attention to your case. They can answer your questions and address any concerns you may have.
If you are a foreigner who is interested in applying for a Digital Nomad Visa, contact a Canadian immigration lawyer for assistance to help you navigate the application process and increase your chances of success.
Do You Want A Canada Digital Nomad Visa? Are You A Tech Worker Who Wants To Move To Canada?
Canada wants skilled foreign workers to help fill the labour shortage and many foreign workers want to live and work in Canada. An experienced Canadian immigration lawyer can help you apply for a Digital Nomad Visa, work permit or other immigration program.
Ackah Business Immigration Law and Evelyn Ackah, an award-winning immigration lawyer recognized for her exceptional skill in preemptively resolving immigration issues, has established a strong reputation for her unwavering commitment to assisting clients in realizing their aspirations of living and working in Canada.
Ackah Business Immigration Law has offices in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver to help clients move to new opportunities in Canada. To get in touch with Ackah Law, contact us at (403) 452-9515 or send an email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.