Canadian Visas are required for certain people entering Canada on business or as a tourist or visitor for tourism. Only U.S. citizens do not require a Visa or what is known as an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to enter Canada, however, all other travelers will have to obtain their proper documents before arrival. Contact us today at (403) 452-9515 Ext. 100 or 1-800-932-1190 or email us directly.
The list of countries requiring an eTA rather than a Visa is shorter than the list of countries in which you must have the Visa to visit for tourism or business. Currently, the foreign nationals from the following nations need an eTA before they come to Canada:
- British citizen
- British National (Overseas)
- British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom
- British overseas territory citizen who derives that citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Island, Saint Helena, and Turks and Caicos Islands
- British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
- Brunei Darussalam
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR
- Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
- Republic of Korea
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Romania (electronic passport holders only)
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- Taiwan, must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number
- United Arab Emirates
- United States, lawful permanent resident of
- Vatican City State, must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.
1. Foreign nationals with official Canadian documents:
•Travellers with a valid Canadian Visa.
•Travellers with valid status in Canada (e.g. visitor, student or worker) who re-enters Canada after only visiting the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
2. Foreign nationals in the following situations:
•French citizens who live in Saint Pierre and Miquelon and are flying directly to Canada from St. Pierre and Miquelon.
•Foreign nationals who are passengers destined to, or coming from, the United States on a flight that stops in Canada solely to refuel and have proper documents to enter the United States, or
were lawfully admitted to the United States.
•Foreign nationals who are passengers on a flight that makes an unscheduled stop in Canada.
•Foreign nationals who transit through a Canadian airport under the Transit Without Visa or China Transit Program.
3. Travel and official representatives
•Flight crew, civil aviation inspectors, accident investigators who are or will be working while in Canada.
•Members of Armed Forces (not including the civilian component of an armed forces) of a country designated under the Visiting Forces Act coming to Canada to carry out official duties.
•Diplomats accredited by the Government of Canada.
If your country is not on this list, you are in need of a Temporary Resident Visa. The requirements for both types of documentation vary depending upon your country of origin and citizenship. Generally, you will need a passport, a clean bill of health, no criminal history, the ability to demonstrate an intention to leave at the end of the stay and have enough money to return home and that you have ties to your country that will take you home. If you have concerns about any of those issues, you will want to consult with an expert who can help you navigate the process.
There are some who require medical exams and letters of invitation as well. Though certain documentation is necessary, the application can be done online at Citizenship and Immigration in Canada, but many will opt to visit their nearest VAC or Visa Application Centre, and the list of Canadian Visa Offices around the globe is found by clicking the link or searching the IRCC site.
Contact us today at (403) 452-9515 Ext. 100 or 1-800-932-1190 or email us directly.