Immigrate to Quebec
Quebec Certificate of Selection under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program
The Quebec Ministère de l’immigration, de la diversité et de l’inclusion (MIDI) has a special immigration agreement with the Government of Canada and has separate rules and qualifications to select foreign nationals who have the skills needed and can integrate into French-speaking Quebec society. To immigrate to Quebec as a skilled worker, foreign nationals must first apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ).
A Quebec Selection Certificate, also known as a Certificat de sélection du Quebec: CSQ, allows a foreign national to immigrate and settle in Quebec. If a foreign national’s destination in Canada is within the province of Quebec, they must obtain a CSQ before they are able to apply for permanent residence with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
The MIDI has an annual cap on the number of CSQ applications accepted each year. The yearly cap does not include:
- anyone who qualifies under the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)
- foreign nationals with a validated job offer
- foreign nationals who are temporary residents in Quebec
MIDI has an Express of Interest (EOI) system named Arrima for people who want to immigrate to Québec under the Regular Skilled Worker Program to qualify immigration candidates. Based on their Arrima score, which is similar to Express Entry, and current job market needs, an applicant may be invited to apply for a CSQ.
EOI qualification points include:
- French language skills
- Work experience
- Spouse's nationality and language skills
What is a CSQ?
Selected applicants to immigrate to Quebec will receive a Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ) from the Quebec immigration authorities. A CSQ:
- documents that the candidate has been selected by the province of Quebec to apply for permanent resident.
- is not a visa and cannot be used to enter Canada
- is valid for 24 months or until a decision has been IRCC about the foreign national's permanent resident visa application
How to Apply for a CSQ
- If the EOI applicant receives an Invitation to Apply from Immigration Quebec, the foreign national has 90 days to complete their online profile.
- The applicant will receive a list of required documents, based on current labour needs. The foreign national has 90 days to provide all of the required documentation.
- After Immigration Quebec receives the required documents and completes their assessment based on the Quebec Skilled Worker Evaluation System, a CSQ is issued if the application is approved.
An approved CSQ recipient must file a permanent residence application with IRCC within 24 months after the date the CSQ is issued and meet all other IRCC qualifications to move to Canada.