Canada's Spousal Open Work Permit Pilot Program OWPP was initiated on December 22, 2014, by the Government of Canada as part of its core immigration priority for family reunification. This program gives spouses or common-law partners the opportunity to continue to work in Canada while waiting for their spousal sponsorship applications to be finalized. This pilot program allows applicants to apply for an Open Work Permit with or any time after they submit an application for permanent residence in the Spouse or Common-Law Partner In Canada (SCLPC) class.
To qualify for an Open Work Permit under the pilot program:
- You must be living in Canada
- You must be sponsored under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner In Canada (SCLPC) Class
- You must have a valid temporary resident status such as a visitor, student or worker
- You must live at the same address as your sponsor
New spousal or partner Work Permit applications can be submitted with your sponsorship application, and:
- may be submitted with an application for permanent residence
- include the appropriate fees
- be sent by mail or courier
Contact us today at (403) 452-9515 Ext. 103 or 1-800-932-1190 or email us directly.