Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) applicants can now travel outside of Canada while waiting for a decision on their application. Effective February 21, 2020, international students who are graduates of Canadian universities and are eligible to work full time without a work permit will be able to maintain their ability to work legally in Canada even if they leave and re-enter the country. A post-graduation work permit allows students who graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain work experience in Canada.
In February 2019, new post-graduation work permit changes went into effect:
- The deadline to apply for a post-graduation work permit was extended from 90 days to 6 months (180 days).
- Applicants are no longer required to hold a valid study permit when applying for a post-graduation work permit; a student must have had a valid study permit at some time during the 180 days.
What Is a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?
Canada wants more international students to become Canadian Permanent Residents to help build the economy. To qualify and apply for PGWP applicants must:
- Graduate from a Canadian public institution or a recognized degree program at a private institution, include universities, colleges or Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel
- Apply online or print out and mail an application
- Apply within 180 days after your school issues your final marks for a post-graduation work permit.
- Pay all application fees, including the “Open work permit holder” fee and the standard fee.
PGWP decisions take 90 days or more to process:
- post-graduation work permit is an open work permit
- international graduates with a PGWP are not required to have a Canada job offer
- PGWP holders can work in any occupation anywhere in Canada
- post-graduation work permit holder can change employers at any time
Work experience through a Post-Graduation Work Permit Program can help support an application to become a permanent resident of Canada.
If you want to study in Canada or apply for a post-graduation work permit, contact Ackah Law today at (403) 452-9515 Ext. 100 or 1-800-932-1190 or email us directly.