Canada encourages applications for Permanent Residence from people with skilled abilities, education and work experience that will contribute to the Canadian economy. One of the most significant programs is known as the Provincial Nominee Program or PNP. This is a system that allows the territorial and/or provincial governments to select immigrants based on the specific economic needs of that territory or province.
Each province or territory has its own specific immigration procedures and may work with the federal Express Entry program. In order to become a nominee, applicants must first submit an application to the province they are interested in. If they are accepted, they can make an application to IRCC for their Permanent Residence. When applying to IRCC at the federal stage, the federal government will review issues such as medical tests, criminal background and financial stability in making a final decision.
PNP and Express Entry 2021 Update
Multiple provinces have begun issuing 2021 Express Entry invitations to apply, including Alberta, which hadn’t done a draw in 6 months for Express Entry:
- PEI: Prince Edward Island: 211 invitations on January 8
- SK: Saskatchewan: 502 invitations on January 21
- BC: British Columbia: 195 invitations on January 12
- AB: Alberta: 50 invitations on January 8
- NS: Nova Scotia: closed the Express Entry stream on January 4
- MP: Manitoba: 272 invitations on January 14
- OI: Ontario: 484 invitations on January 13
- NL: Newfoundland and Labrador opened their new Priority Skills Stream on January 5
If you use the PNP Express Entry approach, you must meet the individualized requirements of the province or territory, get a nomination in that Express Entry stream, submit an Express Entry profile (proving you are eligible), and also meet one of the immigration program requirements that are aligned with Express Entry. These include:
- Business Class Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class Program
- Federal Skilled Workers Program
Canada Health Care Workers PNP Pathway
On January 15 Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau instructed Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) Minister Marco Mendicino to find more pathways for Permanent Residency for immigrant healthcare workers. Three provinces currently have PNP programs to recruit immigrant healthcare workers:
- British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)
- Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP)
- Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program (NS PNP)
Do You Want to Move to Canada and Become a Permanent Resident?
What is your best opportunity to move to Canada? Do you qualify for Express Entry? What skills are needed in the PNP programs? An immigration legal professional can review and assess your situation, and advise you on your best options to move to Canada.
At Ackah Business Immigration Law, our goal is to make Crossing Borders Seamlessly a reality and to smooth your way to new opportunities in Canada. Ackah Law is headquartered in Calgary with offices in Vancouver and Toronto. Contact Ackah Law today at (587) 602-0352 or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.