Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announced new initiatives to attract global talent to Alberta, a new name for the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program and the launch of two new Alberta rural immigration streams, the Rural Renewal Stream and the Rural Entrepreneur Stream. In his February 16 press release, Kenney said the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program will now be called the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) to "help promote Alberta’s reputation and benefits as an attractive place when choosing where to work and raise a family."
The goal of the new Alberta rural immigration programs is to attract and recruit skilled foreign professionals and entrepreneurs who can drive economic growth in the province's smaller towns and communities where historically immigrants are less likely to settle compared to cities and larger urban communities. Many of Alberta's small towns are suffering from a declining workforce due to an aging population and slowing birthrate, and welcome skilled immigrants to help the local economy.
New Alberta Rural Immigration Streams
“One of the biggest challenges facing rural communities is population decline, which has caused a succession crisis when a retiring business owner cannot find an interested buyer. We are helping revitalize rural Alberta by removing barriers and setting the building blocks to welcome job-creating immigration to local communities and supporting economic growth throughout the province.”
- Jason Kenney, Premier
Qualified foreign candidates with a job offer to work in a rural Alberta community can apply for the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program.
Alberta Rural Renewal Stream
Candidates for the Rural Renewal Stream can apply using the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program portal. Requirements for the Rural Renewal Stream include:
- Applicants must intend to and be able to reside and work in the designated community in Alberta
- Applicants must have a valid Endorsement of Candidate Letter issued by the Economic Development Organization (EDO) of the designated rural community in Alberta
- At the time your application is submitted and at the time the AAIP assesses the application, candidates must have a full-time job offer or employment contract from an Alberta employer to work in an eligible occupation in their designated community
- Applicants must meet the following licensing, registration and certification requirements
Complete Rural Renewal Stream requirements and guidelines are available on the AAIP website.
To be eligible for the Rural Renewal Stream, communities must
- Have a community population of less than 100,000 and be outside Edmonton and Calgary Census Metropolitan Areas
- Be represented by an economic development or similar organization with a primary function in economic development
- Have an economic development plan
- Have expressed support from the town/municipality council and a local/regional settlement providing organization
- Have local employers with permanent, full-time, non-seasonal work available
Alberta Rural Entrepreneur Stream
The goal of the rural entrepreneur stream is to attract and retain immigrant entrepreneurs to rural Alberta where they can start businesses or buy a business that will create jobs and help stimulate the local economic recovery. Entrepreneurial immigrants can apply using the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program portal:
- Prospective entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to visit a community before they commit to moving there
- Communities that want to participate in the Rural Entrepreneur Stream will need to submit a Community Enrollment form
- Workforce consultants are available in Alberta to support communities that are interested in participating in the stream
Complete Rural Entrepreneur Stream requirements and guidelines are available on the AAIP website.
New Names for Alberta Entrepreneur Streams
AAIP also announced a name change for 3 existing Alberta immigrant entrepreneur streams:
- The International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream is now the Graduate Entrepreneur Stream.
- The Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa Stream is now the Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream.
- The Self-Employed Farmer Stream is now the Farm Stream.
About Alberta, Canada
Alberta is home to two of Canada's largest cities, Calgary and Edmonton, and is known across the globe as one of the most beautiful parts of North America, with famous national parks Banff and Jasper. Alberta continues to be the top choice for immigrants who move to Canada. Calgary was recently named the most livable city in North America and is consistently in the top 5 most livable cities worldwide, and Canada is ranked the #1 most desirable place to live in the world.
If you have questions about the new Alberta rural immigration streams or your eligibility to move to Canada, an experienced immigration lawyer can review your qualifications and whether you are qualified to move to Canada.
Are You Eligible To Move To Alberta? Contact Ackah Law Today
Ackah Business Immigration Law has offices in Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto to assist businesses and individuals with all their immigration needs. With 50+ years of combined immigration experience, our immigration legal team can identify and resolve potential problems BEFORE they happen.
An experienced immigration lawyer can save you time and stress - and prevent costly mistakes and missed deadlines. Contact Ackah Law today to discuss your immigration situation at 403-452‑9515.