(587) 705-0764
Ackah Business Immigration Law – Personal and Corporate Immigration
Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Free Consult

More Options...

1.5 Year Extension for Some Expiring U.S. Work Permits

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in U.S. Immigration

1.5 Year Extension for Some Expiring U.S. Work Permits

The United States Department of Homeland Security announced a 1 1/2 year extension for some expiring work permits, including certain immigrants applying for green cards and spouses of H-1B visa holders who get employment authorization cards (EADs). The new temporary rule was announced on May 3, 2022, and goes into effect on May 4, 2022. The work permit extension addresses the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) immigration backlog where the work permits of many foreign workers in the United States are expiring while businesses are experiencing severe labour shortages.

U.S. employers must verify that all employees, regardless of citizenship or national origin, are authorized to work in the United States. An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is a work permit issued by USCIS that proves an individual's right to work in the United States.

USCIS Director Ur M. Jaddou said:

"As USCIS works to address the pending EAD caseloads, the agency has determined that the current 180-day automatic extension for employment authorisation is currently insufficient. This temporary rule will provide those non-citizens, otherwise eligible for the automatic extension, an opportunity to maintain employment."

How To Apply For The Work Permit Extension

The automatic 540-day ( 1 1/2 years) extension of their work permit applies to non-citizens who have submitted an EAD renewal application whose 180-day extension has already lapsed, and those who have a valid EAD on May 4, 2022, or who file an EAD renewal application before October 27, 2023, will be granted an automatic extension of up to 540 days if their EAD expires before the renewal application is processed.

The automatic extension ends either when the applicant is notified of a final decision on the renewal application or at the end of the 540-day period, whichever comes earlier. The new policy will help as many as 4,20,000 immigrants who need to renew their work permits and protect them from losing their ability to work in the United States.

This Temporary Final Rule will expire on October 15, 2025, and the automatic extensions of EADs will return to the former rule of an automatic 180-day extension.

Canadians Working in the United States

There are many opportunities for Canadians who want to work in the United States.

  • Canadian professionals who have a bachelor's or master's degree in a specialized field can be sponsored for an H-1B visa by a U.S. employer. H-1B visas are granted in 3-year increments for a maximum period of 6 years.
  • If you have a Bachelor's degree or higher, or if you are a professional or specialist in a particular field, you may be eligible for a TN visa as a professional under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA, formerly NAFTA).
  • L-1 intracompany transfers are available for Canadians with special knowledge who presently work for a company that has operations in the United States or opening a new location in the U.S.

Book A Consultation

Are You A Canadian Who Wants to Work In The United States?

There are many options available to Canadian citizens who want to work in the U.S. Depending on the visa option, and there is a great deal of documentation required from both the employer and employee, and a qualified immigration professional can provide guidance and advice to help you achieve your personal and professional goals.

Contact us today at (403) 452-9515 or email us directly.

Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Good News: New Streamlined Process for L-1 Intra-Company Transfers

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has made some changes to the way they issue receipts for L-1 intracompany transferees. If you are filing a Form I-129S, Nonimmigrant ...

Read More

Episode 62: L-1 Visas For Canadians Who Qualify for an Intracompany Transfer to the US

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah explains L-1 visas for Canadian citizens who qualify for an intracompany transfer to a U.S. company. The L-1 visa allows Canadian citizens ...

Read More

Episode 59: Growing Your Business In The US: A Canadian's Guide to E Visas

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah explains how Canadian business owners and entrepreneurs can qualify for an E visa to grow their business in the United States. The E Visa ...

Read More

Episode 58: Are You A Canadian Who Wants A NAFTA TN Visa?

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah explains the NAFTA TN visa for Canadians, a non-immigrant visa that allows citizens of Canada to work in the United States in a professional ...

Read More

Watch: NAFTA TN and L-1 Visas: From Application to Approval Tips and Tricks

Are you a Canadian who wants a work visa for the United States? Do you want to move to the United States for employment opportunities? Get to work in the US faster with NAFTA visas - the ...

Read More

Don't Wait to File L-1 Visa: U.S. Immigration Fee Increases Proposed

USCIS has proposed raising the filing fee for L-1 petitions filed on Form I-129 by 201% from $460 to $1,385. On January 3, 2023, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced ...

Read More

Thank you, Evelyn, you are a superstar!!

Appreciate your quick work.

– E.S.

View All Testimonials