Canada is a popular destination for skilled professionals from all over the world. One way to move to Canada is through an intra-company transfer (ICT) visa. This visa allows employees of multinational companies to transfer to a branch or subsidiary of their company in Canada. An intra-company category permits international companies to temporarily transfer qualified employees to Canada to improve management effectiveness, expand Canadian exports and enhance Canada's competitiveness in overseas markets. The ICT intra-company transfer program and qualifications are overseen by Immigration and Refugee Canada (IRCC) under the International Mobility Program (IMP).
If you are a full-time employee of a company that has a presence in Canada - parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate - you may be eligible for a Canadian work permit through the intra-company transfer program.
Qualifications for an Intra-Company Transfer to Canada
To qualify for an intra-company transfer to Canada, you must:
- Be a full-time employee of a multinational company with a branch or subsidiary in Canada.
- Have worked for the company for at least one year in a specialized knowledge position or a senior or managerial position.
- Executives: These workers primarily direct the management of the enterprise, or a major component thereof, and receive only general (if any) supervision from higher level executives
- Senior managers: These workers manage all or part of the enterprise and supervise or control the work of other managers or professional employees.
- Workers with specialized knowledge: These workers can demonstrate specialized knowledge of the enterprise’s product or service, or an advanced level of expertise in the enterprise’s processes and procedures.
- Have been offered a position in the Canadian branch or subsidiary.
- Meet the requirements of the Canadian Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
The LMIA is a government assessment that ensures that the hiring of a foreign worker will not have a negative impact on the Canadian labour market.
If you are eligible for an ICT visa, you will be granted a work permit that is valid for up to two years. The permit can be renewed indefinitely as long as you continue to meet the requirements.
Your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children can also come to Canada with you on an open work permit. This means that they can work in Canada for any employer.
Facts About Intra-Company Transfer to Canada
An ICT visa is a great way to move to Canada and work for a multinational company. It is a temporary visa, but it can be a stepping stone to permanent residency.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about ICT visas:
- The specialized knowledge requirement is being redefined by the government. This means that it may be more difficult to qualify for an ICT visa in the future.
- There is a minimum wage requirement for ICT visa holders. This means that you must be paid a wage that is comparable to the wage that Canadian workers would be paid for the same job.
- Your family members can come to Canada with you on an open work permit, but they are not eligible for government benefits such as social assistance.
Do you need assistance in applying for an Intra-Company Transfer to Canada?
The Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) program is a complex and ever-changing immigration program. If you are interested in applying for an ICT visa, Ackah Business Immigration Law can help you determine if you are eligible for the program and assist you with the application process. Ackah Law will help you gather the required documentation, complete the application form and guide you on the visa interview.
Ackah Business Immigration Law has offices in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver to help clients move to new opportunities in Canada and the United States. To get in touch with Ackah Law, contact us at (403) 452-9515 or send an email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.