(587) 705-0764
Ackah Business Immigration Law – Personal and Corporate Immigration
Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Free Consult

More Options...

Canada's Temporary Residents Grew 46%: Do You Want To Move To Canada?

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Canada Work Permits

Canada's Temporary Residents Grew 46%: Do You Want To Move To Canada?

Canada is experiencing the highest population growth since 1957, driven mostly by immigration, according to Statistics Canada. International migration accounted for 94.5% of this growth, an increase of 269,305 people and more than 3,100 people per day. Canada's main area of population growth was temporary residents, including people with study or work permits. Many Canada temporary residents want to stay in Canada permanently.

  • Canada's population grew at the highest rate in a single quarter since 1957 due to a surge in temporary workers, foreign students and immigrants.
  • The country's population rose 2.9% in the 12-month period ending July 1.
  • Canada's Temporary Residents grew 46%: As of July 1, there were 2.2 million temporary residents in Canada, an increase of 700,000 people in a single year.

Canada Welcomes Immigrants

Canada wants skilled, educated immigrants to help strengthen the economy and to replace an aging workforce. Canada's 2022-2024 Immigration Levels Plan is to welcome

  • 431,645 new permanent residents in 2022
  • 447,055 in 2023
  • 451,000 in 2024

Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Do You Want To Move to Canada?

Over the past couple of years, the Canadian government has made it easier for temporary residents to work in the country.

  • In spring 2022, the government allowed companies to hire more low-wage workers through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
  • Canada has also temporarily removed the limit on work hours for international students.
  • Canada's TR to PR pathway for temporary workers to become permanent residents was created so that 90,000 essential healthcare workers, temporary essential workers in other fields, international graduates and francophones and bilingual workers already in Canada could become permanent residents.

These changes are designed to help address labour shortages in Canada. They also make it easier for temporary residents to gain valuable Canadian work experience, which can help them qualify for permanent residency. A growing number of permanent residents began their journey in Canada as students or temporary workers.


Canada Temporary Resident Visa

Temporary Resident Visas are issued to foreigners who are legally authorized to enter Canada temporarily, including people with work or study permits.

Work Permit

The goal of Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is to fill short-term labour shortages and it is a last resort for employers to fill jobs for which qualified Canadians are not available. Foreign nationals must have a work permit or authorization to work without a permit to work in Canada under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP).

Employers must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire foreign workers under the TFWP. The LMIA shows that there is a need for a foreign worker and that no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.

The IMP allows employers to hire foreign workers without an LMIA, but only under certain circumstances. These circumstances include:

  • The foreign worker will bring economic, cultural, or other competitive advantages to Canada.
  • The foreign worker is from a country with which Canada has a reciprocal agreement on work permits.
  • The foreign worker is authorized to work without a permit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

Canada’s immigration selection system tends to favour candidates who possess higher education, Canadian work experience and official language abilities. Certain work experience gained as a TFW could be eligible under the Canadian Experience Class and towards the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System score.

Free Case Evaluation

How To Apply for A Temporary Work Permit

It is helpful to work with an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer to assist and guide you in applying to work in Canada, extend your work or change the conditions of your work permit. There are many options and different pathways to qualifying for a work permit, and a lawyer can help streamline your immigration journey. Missing or incorrect information on your application and missing documentation can result in your application being delayed or denied, and increased costs. An experienced immigration lawyer can advise you on:

  • if a work permit is required for your specific situation
  • if you're eligible for expedited, 2-week processing
  • what to do if your work permit is expired
  • how to apply for open work permits for family members
  • what to do if you have an inadmissibility issue due to criminal or medical background
  • how to extend your work permit


Corporate & Personal Immigration Lawyer in Calgary
We smooth the way to Canada and the United States for employees, families and individuals.

The guidance of an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer can be very helpful if you are planning to incorporate a company in Canada as a non-resident. At Ackah Business Immigration Law, our goal is to make Crossing Borders Seamlessly a reality and to smooth your way to new opportunities in Canada. Ackah Law is headquartered in Calgary with offices in Vancouver and Toronto. If you need Canada business incorporation services or have other business immigration needs, Ackah Law can help.

Contact Ackah Law today at (403) 452‑9515 or email us directly at contact@ackahlaw.com.

Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

How CUSMA Can Help Americans Work in Canada

CUSMA facilitates cross-border labour mobility for Americans to work in Canada by streamlining regulations, removing barriers that previously hindered the process and expediting ...

Read More

What Is Intra-Company Transfer To Canada?

Canada is a popular destination for skilled professionals from all over the world. One way to move to Canada is through an intra-company transfer (ICT) visa. This visa allows employees ...

Read More

Canada Launches Open Work Permit For H-1B Visa Holders

Canada Announced 6 New Tech Immigration Initiatives To Attract Global Tech Talent Starting July 16, 2023, the Canadian government will introduce a new immigration stream to allow ...

Read More

Canada Foreign Workers Don't Need Study Permits

Effective immediately, foreign workers in Canada with a valid work permit no longer need study permits to get additional training and education. The Canadian government has introduced ...

Read More

Episode 66: Intra-Company Transfers To Canada

On the podcast, Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah provides a detailed explanation of intra-company transfers to Canada including the program requirements, candidate eligibility ...

Read More

Episode 61: For Canadian Employers: Understanding The Global Talent Stream

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah explains how Canadian employers can hire highly skilled foreign tech workers through the Global Talent Stream. The Global Talent Stream ...

Read More

What I value most about Evelyn's counsel is her willingness to think outside the box when navigating complex or stressful immigration matters. When presented with a problem, Evelyn immediately envisions herself as the client and then draws from her broad experience to design a solution. Her unshakeable knowledge of immigration law and policy is obvious. However, what distinguishes her most from other practitioners is her intuitive and action-oriented advice. She understands us and is an absolute asset to our business.

– Marla Brock, CEO, KidCoover

View All Testimonials