Effective August 11, 2021, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has launched a new online tool to submit citizenship applications online. The online application tool is currently open only to single applicants over the age of 18. It is not currently open to:
- family applications
- anyone employed by the crown and living outside of Canada
IRCC intends to expand eligibility for online citizenship applications later in 2021 and 2022.
Eligibility for Online Citizenship Applications
In announcing the new online citizenship application, IRCC said you can only apply for Canadian citizenship online if:
- you’re eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship
- you have a valid email address
- you’re at least 18 years of age when you submit your online application
- you’re applying for yourself only (not with your family)
- you do not have a representative
- in your physical presence calculation, you do not include time spent outside Canada as a crown servant or family member of a crown servant
Canada's IRCC is in the process of implementing online immigration initiatives. Canada’s immigration minister Marco Mendicino said his vision for the immigration system is for all processes to be virtual and contactless beyond the pandemic. Canada began offering online citizenship ceremonies during the pandemic.
Canada implemented an online landing process in December 2020 as part of IRCC's COVID measures. The new virtual landing process will reduce the amount of time it takes to process permanent residence immigration applications.
Do You Want To Become A Canadian Citizen?
Ackah Business Immigration Law guides you through the immigration journey to Canada. To find out if you qualify to for Canadian citizenship and to help process your application, contact Ackah Law today at (403) 452‑9515 or email us at email@example.com.