Canada has recognized that travel restrictions are hurting international graduate students by expanding temporary program changes so that all online classes from their qualified university can count toward Post-Graduate Work Program (PGWP) eligibility. Before the pandemic severely restricted international travel, online learning could not count towards a PGWP application. In making the announcement Canada's IRCC Minister of Immigration said:
“This new policy means that students hoping to work in Canada after graduation won’t miss out on opportunities, while ensuring that our economy and society continue to benefit from all that international students bring. Our message to international students and graduates is simple: we don’t just want you to study here, we want you to stay here.”
- Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino
What Is Canada's PGWP Program?
Canada's PGWP allows international student graduates who studied at a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to gain work experience work for any employer anywhere in Canada for up to three years.
In January Canada's IRCC announced new open work permit rules for PGWPs including that they can be renewed for up to 18 months. IRCC provided more flexibility on eligibility rules for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP) for students who start their Canadian study program online from abroad in September of 2020 in response to the global COVID pandemic.
How To Apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
Canada wants more international students to become Canadian Permanent Residents to help build the economy. To qualify and apply for PGWP applicants must:
- Graduate from a Canadian public institution or a recognized degree program at a Designated Learning Institute
- Apply online or print out and mail an application
- Apply within 180 days after your school issues your final marks for a post-graduation work permit.
- Pay all application fees, including the “Open work permit holder” fee and the standard fee.
The Post-Graduation Work Permit is an Open Work Permit; international graduates with a PGWP are not required to have a Canadian job offer, can work in any occupation anywhere in Canada, and can change employers at any time.
Work experience through a Post-Graduation Work Permit Program can help support an application to become a permanent resident of Canada.
- PGWP Update: New Work Permit Policy for Foreign Graduate Students
- NEW Temporary Updates to Canada International Student Requirements
- Fewer Foreign Students Due to COVID: Canada Wants International Students to Grow the Economy
Are You An International Student Attending A Canadian University?
Are you a foreign graduate who wants to stay in Canada? Do you need assistance with your AINP application? Ackah Law has offices in Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto. If you want to live and work in Canada, we provide our clients with the best possible service and expertise in Canadian and U.S. Immigration Law.