(587) 705-0764
Ackah Business Immigration Law – Personal and Corporate Immigration
Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Free Consult

More Options...

Program Update: Open Work Permits Under the Interim Pathway for Caregivers

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Temporary Foreign Worker Program and Caregiver/Nanny LMIA

Program Update: Open Work Permits Under the Interim Pathway for Caregivers

Canada has updated the information in the new IRCC Interim Pathway for Caregivers. The program update explains that program applicants for permanent residence in Canada can also apply for an open work permit under the Interim Pathway for Caregivers by submitting an open work permit when they submit their application for permanent residence. Caregiver applicants can apply for an open work permit under Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption code A70.

Interim Pathway for Caregivers Open March 4 - June 4, 2019

The Interim Pathway for Caregivers is a temporary program that opened March 4 for in-home temporary foreign worker caregivers who came to work in Canada under the now-expired Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilot programs, and will stay open for applications through July 4, 2019. This temporary program is intended to provide a pathway to permanent residence for caregivers who came to Canada in good faith but did not have a clear way to become PRs under the old programs.

Applicants must meet caregiver permanent residence IRCC qualifications for status, work, language and education criteria, including:

  • have a valid work permit
  • have applied to extend your work permit and be waiting on a decision
  • have applied to restore your status as a worker
  • have work experience as a home childcare provider or home support worker
  • must meet minimum language skill is CLB 5 in English or NLCL 5 in French for all 4 language skills
  • must have a Canadian high school diploma or a non-Canadian educational diploma

Why Canada Needs Live-In Caregivers

Live-in caregivers in Canada must be qualified to provide care for the elderly, disabled or children. There is a high demand for live-in caregivers in Canada but not enough Canadians to do this job. Many foreign workers want to move to Canada to find work as live-in caregivers. These workers must live in the private homes of their employer.

Canada has other ways for foreign worker live-in caregivers to become permanent residents: Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot to Launch in 2019.

Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Work Permits For Temporary Foreign Worker's Dependent Children

Dependent children of Temporary Foreign Workers (TFWs) can obtain work permits under LMIA exemption codes C46 and C48 if they meet specific eligibility criteria including holding ...

Read More

NEW: IRCC Launches Home Child Care Support Pilot Program

The Home Child Care Support Pilot (HCSP) is a new program that provides financial support to eligible home child care providers in Canada. This new Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship ...

Read More

Canada Foreign Workers Don't Need Study Permits

Effective immediately, foreign workers in Canada with a valid work permit no longer need study permits to get additional training and education. The Canadian government has introduced ...

Read More

Episode 63: Is It A Good Time To Apply For An LMIA?

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah discusses as a Canadian employer or a business owner how to determine when is a good time to hire a foreign worker and how to apply for an LMIA. ...

Read More

Why Businesses Should Hire an Experienced Immigration Lawyer (Not An Immigration Consultant) for Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers

Hiring temporary foreign workers (TFWs) can be a great way to fill labour shortages for seasonal workers in the hospitality, travel, recreation and entertainment industries. However, ...

Read More

New Online LMIA Portal

BOOK YOUR FREE CASE EVALUATION To modernize the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and improve client service, Service Canada is transitioning to online Labour Market ...

Read More

I am so grateful for Ackah Law’s expertise and guidance in helping me secure a work permit and to renew that work permit! In both experiences I was pleasantly surprised how easy and fast it was to complete the application and obtain my work permit. I’m grateful for their kind communication, vast knowledge of immigration issues, and overall support throughout the process and would recommend them to anyone with immigration questions!

- K.V.

View All Testimonials