(587) 705-0764
Ackah Business Immigration Law – Personal and Corporate Immigration
Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Free Consult

More Options...

Lifetime Ban For Canadian Crossing Into U.S. With CBD Oil

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Inadmissibility Issues and Waivers, Criminal Inadmissibility and Marijuana Legalization and Decriminalization

Lifetime Ban For Canadian Crossing Into U.S. With CBD Oil

Canada's marijuana legalization and decriminalization have resulted in many criminal inadmissibility questions for individuals and corporate Canada/U.S. cross-border business. A recent case demonstrates legal issues Canadians continue to face crossing the border into the United States. A Canadian woman crossing the border was carrying CBD oil, which is legal in both British Columbia and Washington state where she was crossing. CBC reports that she truthfully responded to the border agent's question whether she had any "leafy greens" on her person; she did not understand that the question also applies to CBD oil. When her bags were inspected she was denied entry and is facing a potential lifetime ban for crossing into the U.S. with a controlled substance.

Thousands of Canadians have been denied entry to the U.S. simply for admitting they've smoked a joint once in their lives.

Cannabis use and sale are now legal in Canada. The U.S. / Canada Border is patrolled by United States Federal Agents. While some states have legalized marijuana and CBD products, United States federal law bans the use, sale and investment in the cannabis industry. If a Canadian enters a U.S. state where marijuana use is legal with marijuana or a related product such as CBD or THC, they are subject to being permanently denied entry.

Canada immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah has answered many clients' questions about marijuana and cross-border travel:

"Many of our personal and corporate clients are confused about the laws for entering the U.S. if you have legally used or bought marijuana, or have a past conviction from illegal use. We advise our clients that using, buying or selling cannabis products or derivatives - including CBD oil - can be grounds for inadmissibility to the United States, fines and a lifetime ban. We can apply for a waiver, and if we succeed that waiver must be renewed every year, two years or five years."

Criminal Inadmissibility to the United States

One of the most stressful issues for people traveling to Canada or the United States is criminal inadmissibility. DUI's, assault, and possession of marijuana convictions even 30 or 40 years old can cause you to be deemed inadmissible to enter at the border.


If you are permanently banned from entering the United States for your legal Canadian purchase and use of marijuana and related products, or for illegal use of cannabis in your past, you can appeal the decision. Ackah Business Immigration Law provides comprehensive expertise in all areas of Canadian and United States immigration law including criminal inadmissibility.

  • Do you want to travel for vacation?
  • Does your job require you to travel?
  • Have you ever been fingerprinted, charged or convicted?

An immigration lawyer can research your case and help you file for a waiver, be deemed rehabilitated or identify a compelling reason why you need to travel, such as work or a family emergency. A waiver may last for only one year, or for several years - each case is unique.

U.S. Visa Waivers of Inadmissibility

American Customs and Border Protection Officers (CBP) have broad discretionary powers and if you present yourself at the border with a criminal record, regardless of the nature of the crime you committed, you may be refused entry and asked to submit a Waiver of Inadmissibility Application to the Department of Homeland Security before attempting to travel again.

CBP has launched a new online system for eligible nonimmigrants to enter the United States called e-SAFE, for electronic applications of waiver of inadmissibility forms I-192 and I-212.

Read More:

Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

How To Travel Between Canada and the U.S. If You Have A Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record, you may still be able to travel between Canada and the U.S., but you may need to apply for a visa or permit. The specific requirements will depend on the nature ...

Read More

Episode 67 Inadmissibility Due To Criminality: How To Move Forward On Your Immigration Journey

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah provides a detailed explanation of how an individual with a criminal incident in their past can qualify for a TRP or visa waiver to enter Canada ...

Read More

How Can An American With a DUI Travel to Canada on Business?

Canada and the United States are close neighbours, and many people who live near the border forget the fact that they are entering a foreign country and cross the border regularly for ...

Read More

Evelyn Ackah on the Fair Legal Blog: Is A Criminal Charge Preventing You From Visiting The US?

Immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah spoke to criminal lawyer Charles Fair of Fair Legal in Calgary about how a background check can prevent Canadians from crossing the border to the United ...

Read More

How to Winter in Florida If You Have A DUI or Other Criminal Case

Too often, our office gets panicked calls from Canadian snowbirds who wanted to go to the U.S. but were stopped at the border - often people who have travelled regularly to the United ...

Read More

Are You Inadmissible To Enter Canada? A TRP May Let You Legally Cross The Border

If you are inadmissible to enter Canada due to a past criminal, security, health and other reason but want to visit Canada for business, holiday or a family reason, a Temporary Resident ...

Read More

Dear Evelyn,
Thank you so much for your help with the work permit and visitor records. You were generous with your time when I was ill and needed help. You are an amazing and wonderful person. Happy holiday and Happy New Year!!

View All Testimonials