(587) 705-0764
Ackah Business Immigration Law – Personal and Corporate Immigration
Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Free Consult

More Options...

My Husband is American and I am Canadian. We would like to move to Canada. Will his past Criminality impact my ability to sponsor him?

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Inadmissibility Issues and Waivers and Criminal Inadmissibility

My Husband is American and I am Canadian.  We would like to move to Canada.   Will his past Criminality impact my ability to sponsor him?

Depending on your husband’s charge, conviction or sentence and how long ago the offence(s) occurred, he may be found to be inadmissible to Canada and not eligible to be sponsored for permanent residence in Canada.

The first step to determine inadmissibility is to compare the U.S. offence to the equivalent Canadian offence. For example, if the conviction was a DUI, or reckless driving, the Canadian equivalent may be found under Section 253 or Section 249 of the Canadian Criminal Code. The maximum punishment for such an offence if it was committed in Canada would be a term of imprisonment not exceeding five years, however, if someone was injured during the incident it could be significantly longer. Where the maximum sentence for a crime would be more than ten years, it is considered to be “serious criminality” . Your husband can still apply for rehabilitation at the Canadian Consulate for this.

If your husband only has one conviction, the crime he committed is punishable by a jail sentence of less than 10 years in Canada and more than ten years has passed since the completion of the sentence (including all probation) he may be eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation at the POE.

If your husband only has one conviction and the crime he committed is punishable by a jail sentence of less than 10 years in Canada, but only five years have passed since the completion of the sentence (including probation) or the offence he committed is punishable by a jail sentence of longer than 10 years your husband will need to apply for rehabilitation at a Canadian Consulate. This process can take a year or more to complete, so you should apply for rehabilitation as soon as possible, even before beginning the sponsorship process. If you don’t, you may find that your application is delayed, or worse –your application to sponsor him for permanent residence could be denied.

It’s not always easy to tell what may be considered an offence that leads to inadmissibility. Our team at Ackah Business Immigration Law has over 25 years of combined experience in making these types of applications and we are ready to assist you with your rehabilitation application today.

Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

How To Travel Between Canada and the U.S. If You Have A Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record, you may still be able to travel between Canada and the U.S., but you may need to apply for a visa or permit. The specific requirements will depend on the nature ...

Read More

Episode 67 Inadmissibility Due To Criminality: How To Move Forward On Your Immigration Journey

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah provides a detailed explanation of how an individual with a criminal incident in their past can qualify for a TRP or visa waiver to enter Canada ...

Read More

How Can An American With a DUI Travel to Canada on Business?

Canada and the United States are close neighbours, and many people who live near the border forget the fact that they are entering a foreign country and cross the border regularly for ...

Read More

Evelyn Ackah on the Fair Legal Blog: Is A Criminal Charge Preventing You From Visiting The US?

Immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah spoke to criminal lawyer Charles Fair of Fair Legal in Calgary about how a background check can prevent Canadians from crossing the border to the United ...

Read More

How to Winter in Florida If You Have A DUI or Other Criminal Case

Too often, our office gets panicked calls from Canadian snowbirds who wanted to go to the U.S. but were stopped at the border - often people who have travelled regularly to the United ...

Read More

Are You Inadmissible To Enter Canada? A TRP May Let You Legally Cross The Border

If you are inadmissible to enter Canada due to a past criminal, security, health and other reason but want to visit Canada for business, holiday or a family reason, a Temporary Resident ...

Read More

I used the service of Ackah/ Business immigration Law for a TN work visa in the U.S. Both Sacha and Evelyn were professional and helpful in obtaining the visa and the border was smooth and not stressful. I would recommend their service to anyone requiring any help with Visa’s and cross border issues. Thanks.

– Warren Sharp

View All Testimonials