(587) 705-0764
Ackah Business Immigration Law – Personal and Corporate Immigration
Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Free Consult

More Options...

Marijuana Legalization in Canada Causes Issues for Investors at the U.S. Border

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Inadmissibility Issues and Waivers and Marijuana Legalization and Decriminalization

Marijuana Legalization in Canada Causes Issues for Investors at the U.S. Border

With the October 17, 2018, legalization of marijuana in Canada, many immigration issues are looming for Canadians who want to travel to the U.S. for business and pleasure. As other countries become aware of Canada's new pot laws, immigration lawyers are warning Canadians who admit to consuming marijuana legally in Canada or investing in the cannabis industry could have problems at the border, which is under United States federal jurisdiction. While marijuana is legal in several states, in the U.S. it is federally classified as an illicit and controlled substance.

According to The Star, the U.S. State Department's Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs press officer said “admission requirements into the United States will not change due to Canada’s legalization of cannabis.”

Canada immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah advises,

Never lie at the border crossing, but instead to refuse to answer questions about marijuana use or investment. In that case, you will be denied admission to the United States on that occasion, but will not be banned for life.

Hopefully the border issues surrounding Canadians's legal use of marijuana will be resolved soon. In the mean time, if you do legally use marijuana in Canada and are traveling to the United State for business or as a tourist, I recommend:

  • When crossing the Canada / U.S. border, make sure you are not carrying any marijuano or cannabis paraphenalia in your pockets or bags.
  • Put passwords on your electronic devices so your photos, emails and texts cannot be read.
  • Do not use a credit card to purchase marijuana, as the legal electronic sharing of data between countries could make that information available to the border agents.

What To Do If You Are Denied Entry to the U.S. by Homeland Security

Banned travelers can apply for a waiver, which lasts for one to five years if approved. If you are deemed inadmissible to enter Canada and are permanently banned from entering the United States for your legal Canadian purchase and use of marijuana, you can appeal the decision. Ackah Business Immigration Law provides comprehensive expertise in all areas of Canadian and United States immigration law. Our innovative legal practice combines professional knowledge, personal attention, and supportive advice. With knowledge and expertise, we navigate complex U.S. immigration rules and regulations to solve problems and remove obstacles, before you get to the border.

Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

How To Travel Between Canada and the U.S. If You Have A Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record, you may still be able to travel between Canada and the U.S., but you may need to apply for a visa or permit. The specific requirements will depend on the nature ...

Read More

Episode 67 Inadmissibility Due To Criminality: How To Move Forward On Your Immigration Journey

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah provides a detailed explanation of how an individual with a criminal incident in their past can qualify for a TRP or visa waiver to enter Canada ...

Read More

How Can An American With a DUI Travel to Canada on Business?

Canada and the United States are close neighbours, and many people who live near the border forget the fact that they are entering a foreign country and cross the border regularly for ...

Read More

Evelyn Ackah on the Fair Legal Blog: Is A Criminal Charge Preventing You From Visiting The US?

Immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah spoke to criminal lawyer Charles Fair of Fair Legal in Calgary about how a background check can prevent Canadians from crossing the border to the United ...

Read More

How to Winter in Florida If You Have A DUI or Other Criminal Case

Too often, our office gets panicked calls from Canadian snowbirds who wanted to go to the U.S. but were stopped at the border - often people who have travelled regularly to the United ...

Read More

Are You Inadmissible To Enter Canada? A TRP May Let You Legally Cross The Border

If you are inadmissible to enter Canada due to a past criminal, security, health and other reason but want to visit Canada for business, holiday or a family reason, a Temporary Resident ...

Read More

A huge thank you to you and your team for all of the assistance throughout this process!

- TF

View All Testimonials