(403) 452-9515

Ackah Law

Search Ackah Law...

Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Consultation

More Options...

I have several convictions from over 30 years ago. Will I be able to enter Canada and obtain a Canadian Work Permit?

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Inadmissibility Issues and Waivers and Criminal Inadmissibility

I have several convictions from over 30 years ago.  Will I be able to enter Canada and obtain a Canadian Work Permit?

Because there are several convictions, you would not be able to apply for deemed rehabilitation at the POE. You would have to apply for Individual Rehabilitation through a Canadian Consulate.

The Individual Rehabilitation process can be lengthy and often takes more than a year to process. If you have not applied for a pardon/expungement/ record suspension in the jurisdiction where you were convicted, then begin the process now. Also, ensure you have all your court documents, parole officer notes, sentencing documents and any other supporting information regarding your past convictions, penalties and proof of completed sentences.

Because you are currently considered inadmissible, you will not be able to obtain a Canadian Work Permit unless you obtain a TRP first. There are no guarantees that you will be granted a TRP, as the Officer considering your application will weigh your reasons for entering Canada versus the risks to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. The Officer will consider if there is a compelling need for you to be in Canada, usually this would be some economic benefit to a Canadian employer or a specific event, like presenting at a conference.

If you are not sure if you are inadmissible, it is best to have your records reviewed by someone familiar with Canada’s criminal and immigration law to guide you through this process.

Evelyn Ackah

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn Ackah

Cannabis Pardons, Visa Waivers and Cross Border Travel - Download Our eBook

Do You Have A Marijuana Conviction? Cross Border Travel: What Individuals and Employers Need to Know About Cannabis Pardons & Visa WaiversHello and thank you for downloading our ...

Read More

Marijuana Medical Use: Can I Get a Visa Waiver to Enter the US?

In the United States, cannabis use is legal in many states, particularly for medical use, but is still classified as a Schedule I narcotic drug by the DEA and remains federally prohibited. ...

Read More

New TSA Rules on CBD Oil Do Not Include Canada Users

In May 2019 the United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) updated their cannabis policy to allow some forms of cannabidiol (CBD) oil on flights. TSA.gov new regulations ...

Read More

Cannabis Pardon Does Not Guarantee You Can Enter the U.S.

Canada Bill C-93, an amendment to the Criminal Records Act to expedite granting pardons for Canadians with criminal records for simple possession of cannabis was tabled by the federal ...

Read More

US Visa Applicants & Travellers Denied Entry Due To Their Social Media

More and more visitors to the United States are being denied entry by U.S. border officials after a review of their social media and other online accounts. In late August a 17-year old ...

Read More

Lifetime Ban For Canadian Crossing Into U.S. With CBD Oil

Canada's marijuana legalization and decriminalization have resulted in many criminal inadmissibility questions for individuals and corporate Canada/U.S. cross-border business. ...

Read More

Thanks for your consistency and concern. I did receive the PR card 2 weeks ago. Thanks so much to you and your firm for your support on this important step on my professional career and personal life.

– Bojdan Statutiak

View All Testimonials