(587) 705-0764
Ackah Business Immigration Law – Personal and Corporate Immigration
Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Free Consult

More Options...

How to Enter Canada If You've Been Convicted of Marijuana Use or Related Crimes

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Inadmissibility Issues and Waivers, Criminal Inadmissibility and Marijuana Legalization and Decriminalization

How to Enter Canada If You've Been Convicted of Marijuana Use or Related Crimes


The headlines are frequently featured U.S. entertainers such as comedian Russell Brand, actors Wes Brantley and Lindsay Lohan, rappers DMX and Kodak Black, or actor who has been banned from entering Canada for drug-related crimes. Being denied entry to Canada doesn't just happen to entertainers - anyone with a conviction for a serious crime in the United States can be deemed criminally inadmissible by a Canada border agent and refused entry to Canada.

If you have a criminal record, you can be banned from entering Canada and deemed criminally inadmissible for life. That includes if you have been convicted of a cannabis usage or related crime, such as driving while impaired or distribution, even though recreational use of marijuana is now legal in Canada.

Are You Worried You Will be Denied Entry to Canada?

Do you have a U.S. criminal record for a minor or serious crime and are concerned you will be denied entry to Canada? Average people and celebrities can overcome criminal inadmissibility, including for marijuana-related crimes. Canada and the U.S. share security data, including the criminal history of their citizens. This means that if you have a criminal record in the United States, you may be declared rehabilitated and no longer banned from Canada for life, known as Criminal Rehabilitation. If you are refused entry to Canada due to a conviction for a marijuana-related crime outside of Canada, there may still be ways to legally enter Canada.

Free Case Evaluation

Criminal Rehabilitation

If you have been convicted of a crime you can apply to be "deemed" rehabilitated. Canada border agents have considerable discretion to evaluate someone who is at the border applying to enter Canada and determine if they are rehabilitated. However, there is a significant risk that the border agent will not have sufficient proof that someone is rehabilitated, and continue to refuse entry to Canada. Anyone can apply for a determination of individual rehabilitation. A Canada immigration legal expert can advise you on the best options for you to qualify to be deemed rehabilitation.

1. How Long Ago Was The Crime Committed?
If it is over five years since you completed all of the requirements of your sentence, such as paying any fines and completing parole and over 10 years since the crime was committed, you may be eligible for rehabilitation status. You must be able to show you are unlikely to commit another crime by proving a stable life and no other recent crimes.

2. Did You Receive a Pardon?
Was your crime pardoned or discharge from the state or country where you were convicted? If so, you can apply to IRCC to be deemed rehabilitated - that cannot be done by a border agent.

3. Do You Have A Compelling Reason to Enter Canada?
If it is less than five years since your court sentence was completed and you have a compelling reason to enter Canada, such as a family emergency or an urgent work issue, you may be able eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is a short-term solution that will allow you to enter and remain in Canada despite your status as inadmissible, but you must leave the country by the expiration date on the TRP.

Read More:


Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn L. Ackah, BA, LL.B.

How To Travel Between Canada and the U.S. If You Have A Criminal Record

If you have a criminal record, you may still be able to travel between Canada and the U.S., but you may need to apply for a visa or permit. The specific requirements will depend on the nature ...

Read More

Episode 67 Inadmissibility Due To Criminality: How To Move Forward On Your Immigration Journey

Calgary immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah provides a detailed explanation of how an individual with a criminal incident in their past can qualify for a TRP or visa waiver to enter Canada ...

Read More

How Can An American With a DUI Travel to Canada on Business?

Canada and the United States are close neighbours, and many people who live near the border forget the fact that they are entering a foreign country and cross the border regularly for ...

Read More

Evelyn Ackah on the Fair Legal Blog: Is A Criminal Charge Preventing You From Visiting The US?

Immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah spoke to criminal lawyer Charles Fair of Fair Legal in Calgary about how a background check can prevent Canadians from crossing the border to the United ...

Read More

How to Winter in Florida If You Have A DUI or Other Criminal Case

Too often, our office gets panicked calls from Canadian snowbirds who wanted to go to the U.S. but were stopped at the border - often people who have travelled regularly to the United ...

Read More

Are You Inadmissible To Enter Canada? A TRP May Let You Legally Cross The Border

If you are inadmissible to enter Canada due to a past criminal, security, health and other reason but want to visit Canada for business, holiday or a family reason, a Temporary Resident ...

Read More

Evelyn!! You did it! Not going to lie, this had me in tears when I read it. Can’t believe it’s finally over! Thank you so much! You’ve no idea the reactions I got when I told my family and friends! There were a lot of tears and congratulations!


View All Testimonials