(403) 452-9515

Ackah Law

Search Ackah Law...

Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Consultation

More Options...

How Marijuana Impaired Driving Penalties Can Result in Deportation from Canada

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Inadmissibility Issues and Waivers and Marijuana Legalization and Decriminalization

How Marijuana Impaired Driving Penalties Can Result in Deportation from Canada

Canada legalized the recreational use of cannabis in October 2018, and on December 18, 2018, Canada enacted new impaired driving penalties and the maximum penalty for most of these crimes increased to 10 years from five. This means that marijuana-related impaired driving penalties now are considered serious crimes for immigration determination purposes that can result in loss of status and deportation.

Canada's IRCC issued a notice advising immigration applicants and temporary and permanent residents that most cannabis-related crimes will have a maximum penalty of 14 years and include:

  • illegally producing, distributing or selling cannabis
  • illegally importing or exporting cannabis or cannabis-related products across Canada’s international borders

Cannabis-related crimes include driving while impaired, selling marijuana to someone under 18 or using a young person to commit a cannabis-related offence. If you commit a marijuana-related crime, you can be declared inadmissible to Canada for life for serious criminality and deported, whether the crime occurred in or outside of Canada:

  • permanent residents could lose their status and have to leave the country
  • temporary residents (including visitors, international students and foreign workers) may not be able to enter or stay in Canada
  • refugee claimants may not be eligible to have their claim referred for a refugee hearing

IRCC further stated that "appeal rights for permanent residents and foreign nationals, including sponsored members of the family class, could also be affected."

What to Do If You Are Deemed Inadmissible to Canada

Canada's federal immigration law says that a permanent resident or foreign national can be deemed inadmissible to Canada for life and deported if they have been convicted of a Canadian offence punishable by up to 10 years in prison, or of an offence for which they have actually been sentenced to more than six months behind bars. These same rules apply to anyone who has committed an offence in another country if in Canada, the crime carries a penalty of up to 10 years.

If you are a temporary or permanent resident and already live in Canada and are convicted of a serious crime and deemed inadmissible, deportation proceedings may be started.

Canada immigration lawyer Evelyn Ackah explains,

Criminality and being deemed inadmissible to Canada must be taken very seriously. Our new cannabis laws mean that residents or visitors to Canada who foolishly drive while under the influence of marijuana, or commit other marijuana-related crimes, can lose their status and be deported. Permanent residents of Canada are entitled to many privileges afforded to all Canadians, but they are not citizens. Temporary residents have been granted a short defined period to live and work in Canada, and criminality can result in having that status revoked.

Permanent residents should consider if they want to become Canadian citizens and have all the rights, privileges and protections of someone born in Canada. If you are a temporary or permanent resident, or want to file an immigration application, and have been deemed inadmissible due to a crime that occurred in Canada or another country, there are steps you can take to appeal your inadmissible status and be classified as rehabilitated.

If you are refused entry to Canada due to criminal inadmissibility there are legal options to enter the country:

  • Deemed Rehabilitation
    If enough time has passed since all of the conditions of the sentence for the conviction were met, you may be eligible for deemed rehabilitated by Canada border officials.
  • Criminal Rehabilitation
    If it has been at least 5 years since all penalties of your conviction have been fulfilled, or your charges have been pardoned or discharged, you can make a formal application to the Canada consulate before you try to enter Canada.

    If it has been less than 5 years since the crime was committed and you have a compelling reason to visit Canada, it may be possible to get a Temporary Resident Permit that allows you to enter and remain in Canada for a short time despite your status as inadmissible.

If you have been deemed inadmissible or are not sure if you are inadmissible, it is best to have your records reviewed by someone familiar with Canada’s criminal and immigration law to guide you through this process.

Evelyn Ackah

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn Ackah

Cannabis Pardons, Visa Waivers and Cross Border Travel - Download Our eBook

Do You Have A Marijuana Conviction? Cross Border Travel: What Individuals and Employers Need to Know About Cannabis Pardons & Visa WaiversHello and thank you for downloading our ...

Read More

Cannabis Pardon Does Not Guarantee You Can Enter the U.S.

Canada Bill C-93, an amendment to the Criminal Records Act to expedite granting pardons for Canadians with criminal records for simple possession of cannabis was tabled by the federal ...

Read More

Marijuana Medical Use: Can I Get a Visa Waiver to Enter the US?

In the United States, cannabis use is legal in many states, particularly for medical use, but is still classified as a Schedule I narcotic drug by the DEA and remains federally prohibited. ...

Read More

New TSA Rules on CBD Oil Do Not Include Canada Users

In May 2019 the United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) updated their cannabis policy to allow some forms of cannabidiol (CBD) oil on flights. TSA.gov new regulations ...

Read More

US Visa Applicants & Travellers Denied Entry Due To Their Social Media

More and more visitors to the United States are being denied entry by U.S. border officials after a review of their social media and other online accounts. In late August a 17-year old ...

Read More

Lifetime Ban For Canadian Crossing Into U.S. With CBD Oil

Canada's marijuana legalization and decriminalization have resulted in many criminal inadmissibility questions for individuals and corporate Canada/U.S. cross-border business. ...

Read More

Commitment - This is one word sums up Evelyn Ackah and her team. The last few years Canadian immigration policies have been a moving target. Throughout this period Ackah Law focused to provide reliable and exceptional service

– Peter Bellusci

View All Testimonials