(403) 452-9515

Ackah Law

Search Ackah Law...

Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Consultation

More Options...

Can I enter Canada if I have one DUI from 12 Years ago in the U.S.?

Blog posted on by Evelyn Ackah in Inadmissibility Issues and Waivers and Criminal Inadmissibility

Can I enter Canada if I have one DUI from 12 Years ago in the U.S.?

If it has been 12 years since the completion of your sentence for the DUI in the U.S. you may be eligible to seek deemed rehabilitation at a Canadian port of entry (POE) upon your arrival, however, you should be well prepared to make this request and ensure you have the necessary information or documents in hand to prove that it is only one conviction from 12 years ago.

Don’t expect that just because your drunk driving charge happened a long time ago that it won’t affect you when trying to enter Canada.

Canada and the U.S. share information concerning national security and policing and if you have not had your American criminal record expunged, when you arrive at a Canadian POE, the officer examining you will have access to your criminal history, regardless of whether the offence happened 2 years ago or 20 years ago.

The good news is that if it has been 12 years since the completion of your sentence you may be qualify for deemed rehabilitation at a Canadian POE. Eligibility depends on several factors, such as the seriousness of the crime you committed, if it was only one conviction or several and whether the offence would be punishable by a prison term of less than 10 years.

Were you stopped at a check stop, or pulled over because you were driving erratically? Did you refuse to provide a breath sample to police? Did you cause bodily harm to anyone involved? Was someone killed because of the incident? These factors affect how the Canadian criminal equivalency of your drunk driving conviction will be assessed.

It should also be noted that although driving while impaired is a “hybrid offence” (punishable by a fine or by jail time) under the Canadian Criminal Code, for the purpose of immigration analysis it is always treated as though it were an indictable offence (punishable by jail time).

When seeking deemed rehabilitation at a POE you must bring all the documentation you have related to your criminal history and rehabilitation with you and you must be prepared to make your case to an immigration officer. Having an immigration lawyer to help you prepare for this application may be the difference between success and failure.

If it has been less than 10 years since the completion of your sentence, don’t lose hope. We can still assist you to make a Criminal Rehabilitation or a Temporary Residence Permit (“TRP”) application through the through the Canadian Consulate so that you can enter Canada temporarily for an important meeting or a special event.

Evelyn Ackah

Founder/Managing Lawyer

Ms. Ackah is passionate about immigration law because it focuses on people and relationships, which are at the core of her personal values. Starting her legal career as a corporate/commercial ...

More About Evelyn Ackah

Cannabis Pardons, Visa Waivers and Cross Border Travel - Download Our eBook

Do You Have A Marijuana Conviction? Cross Border Travel: What Individuals and Employers Need to Know About Cannabis Pardons & Visa WaiversHello and thank you for downloading our ...

Read More

Cannabis Pardon Does Not Guarantee You Can Enter the U.S.

Canada Bill C-93, an amendment to the Criminal Records Act to expedite granting pardons for Canadians with criminal records for simple possession of cannabis was tabled by the federal ...

Read More

Marijuana Medical Use: Can I Get a Visa Waiver to Enter the US?

In the United States, cannabis use is legal in many states, particularly for medical use, but is still classified as a Schedule I narcotic drug by the DEA and remains federally prohibited. ...

Read More

New TSA Rules on CBD Oil Do Not Include Canada Users

In May 2019 the United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) updated their cannabis policy to allow some forms of cannabidiol (CBD) oil on flights. TSA.gov new regulations ...

Read More

US Visa Applicants & Travellers Denied Entry Due To Their Social Media

More and more visitors to the United States are being denied entry by U.S. border officials after a review of their social media and other online accounts. In late August a 17-year old ...

Read More

Lifetime Ban For Canadian Crossing Into U.S. With CBD Oil

Canada's marijuana legalization and decriminalization have resulted in many criminal inadmissibility questions for individuals and corporate Canada/U.S. cross-border business. ...

Read More

We just got out of our interview and getting a new SIN paper for Ivan's permanent residency. Thank you so much you guys made this possible for us and we are so thankful for all you have done.

- N and I

View All Testimonials