(403) 452-9515

Ackah Law

Search Ackah Law...

Contact us

Contact Information

1 (403) 452-9515

1 (800) 932-1190

Book a Consultation

More Options...

How to Move to Canada

How to Move to Canada

Canada Immigration Services

Ackah Business Immigration Law provides comprehensive expertise in all areas of immigration law and advice on how to move to Canada and the United States. At Ackah Business Immigration Law, we guide you through the immigration journey to your desired destination. Our innovative legal practice combines professional knowledge, personal attention and supportive advice. With knowledge and expertise, we navigate complex Canadian and U.S. immigration rules and regulations to solve problems and remove obstacles before you get to the border.

Why Do I Need An Immigration Lawyer?

Immigration law is becoming more complex and challenging every day. Immigration applications can be refused due to minor oversights and omissions that can delay or negatively impact your business or your family reunification plans. By not using an experienced immigration lawyer you could be putting your business and your family at risk. Ackah Business Immigration Law can help you understand your rights and understand Canadian immigration policies as they apply to your unique circumstances.

What is Canada's Immigration Policy?

Immigration policy in Canada is structured around three main categories:

  • Economic Immigration. This category represents the largest portion of immigrants each year. Selection is based on a point system that rewards applicants with higher levels of education, job experience and language skills (i.e., English and French). With the manufacturing sector in decline and the country shifting toward a more information-based economy, this policy emphasizes flexible, transferable skills over specific occupations.
  • Family reunification. This class of immigrants includes spouses and children joining family members who are already living in Canada. This is the second-largest group of immigrants admitted on a yearly basis. Canada will recognize same-sex couples in this category even if they are not legally married due to restrictions in their country of origin, although a couple must provide proof of a long-standing relationship.
  • Refugees. This is the smallest group of immigrants admitted to Canada every year. It includes both humanitarian resettlement programs and claims for asylum protection.

How Do I Move to Canada and Get a Canadian Work Permit?

Work Permits are required for any foreign nationals who want to work during their temporary term in Canada. These are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and give authorization for someone to work legally in Canada.

Do You Need an LMIA to Obtain a Work Permit? Sometimes.

A Work Permit alone may not be enough for someone to work legally in Canada. In some circumstances, a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) may be required. This is a document that indicates that there is a demonstrated need for a foreign worker to fill the job and that no Canadian worker is available to do it.

How Do I Get an LMIA?

If you are someone who is about to head to Canada in order to work - whether temporarily or on a long-term project - you need to understand what documentation is required. Work Permits are usually required for almost any traveler heading to Canada to work. Essentially, you can assume that you will require a Work Permit if you become part of the Canadian labour market for a length of time.

How Can I Apply for Canada Permanent Residence?

How Can I Get a Canadian Study Permit?

In order to study in Canada, international students usually require a Study Permit. This is a document available only after a college, university, or other accredited educational institution has accepted you. Study Permits are only available for those accepted to schools designated to accept international students. Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) appear on the official DLI list, but only at the post-secondary level. Primary and secondary schools throughout the country are automatically deemed as designated institutions.

How Can I Get a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is an official document placed in your passport that demonstrates to Canadian authorities that you have met the requirements for admission into Canada as a visitor, student or worker. Canada requires citizens of certain countries to obtain a TRV before they can enter Canada. If you want to study or work in Canada, you will need to apply for that document through a separate application.

How Do I Apply for Spousal Sponsorship Permanent Residence?

The Family Class Application (Spousal Sponsorship path) is a way for a Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner (including a same-sex partner) to immigrate to Canada.

How Do I Apply for Express Entry Permanent Residence?

Express Entry was launched by the Canadian Government on January 1, 2015, as a way to choose skilled immigrants as Permanent Residents to Canada based on their ability to settle in Canada successfully.

Express Entry is used to manage applications for Permanent Residence under three federal economic immigration programs:

How Do I Apply for Canadian Citizenship?

All applications require the submission of various supporting documents and fees. Fees are payable only in Canadian funds and may be submitted via the online option or at specific financial institutions. After you apply, you will be scheduled to take the Citizenship Test.

If you are between 18 and 54 years of age when you apply for Citizenship, you must take the Citizenship Test. All the test questions are based on what’s in the Discover Canada Guide. Applicants must study this guide to prepare for the test. The guide is available in both English and French. The time and place of the test is provided once the application is processed and you learn the results immediately after completing the test.

Passing the Citizenship Test is the final step to allow you to receive a ceremony date. You will take the Oath of Citizenship and become a full Citizen at the Citizenship Ceremony. If you do not pass, you are able to take a second test at a later time.

What is A Super Visa for Grandparents?

A Super Visa is only available to someone who is either the parent or grandparent of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada. To apply for a Super Visa you have to be able to demonstrate the relationship claimed, have a letter of invitation, and meet several other criteria, including income, medical coverage and more.

How Do I Hire a Home Childcare Provider or Home Support Worker?

Home Caregivers in Canada must be qualified to provide care for the elderly, disabled or for children. They work in private homes and do not have direct supervision as they do their jobs. In Canada, to be deemed a live-in caregiver, that worker must indeed live in the home of the employer.

What is the Provincial Nominee Program?

Canada encourages applications for Permanent Residence from people with strong skills, education and work experience that will contribute to the Canadian economy. One of the most significant programs is known as the Provincial Nominee Program or PNP. This is a system that allows the territorial and/or provincial governments to select immigrants based on the specific economic needs of that territory or province.

How Can Entrepreneurs Move to Canada and Start a Business?

Entrepreneur Applications for Permanent Residence in Canada

The Canadian government announced in October 2015 that Canada wants entrepreneurs! Canada’s new Start-Up Visa is the first of its kind in the world, linking immigrant entrepreneurs with experienced private sector organizations that have expertise in working with start-ups.

Start-Up Visa Program

The Start-up Visa Program focuses on entrepreneurs who want to immigrate to Canada. Specifically, those who can build businesses and create jobs for Canadians and Permanent Residents. The start-up visa allows for the applicant to obtain their Permanent Residency.

Self-Employed Applications for Permanent Residence in Canada

Canada has many ways for people to qualify for Self Employed Permanent Residence, which is often based on their work, skills and education.

How to Move to Canada from the United States?

Are you concerned about the impact of the recent election in the United States? Have you been thinking about moving to Canada and now want to make the leap north? Ackah Business Immigration Law can help you understand Canada immigration law and the requirements to migrate to Canada from the U.S.

Crossing Borders Seamlessly

Ackah Business Immigration Law helps you to move to Canada seamlessly with offices in Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver that serve clients around the world. Led by founder and managing Lawyer Evelyn Ackah, we guide you through the immigration journey to your new home in Canada. Our innovative legal practice combines professional knowledge, personal attention and supportive design with the expertise to navigate complex Canadian and U.S. immigration rules and regulations to solve problems and remove obstacles before you get to the border.

We don't just know the law, we also know our client’s needs, concerns, hopes and dreams. If you are stuck in an airport half a world away or have an emergency, we are only a phone call away and we respond immediately, 24-7-365. We care about you, your family and your organization and we take the journey with you from Visitor Visa through to your Citizenship ceremony. You are never alone in the immigration process. Whether our clients are moving for work, education or personal pursuits they are all seeking that Ackah Law Passport to ensure smooth sailing and confidence through the immigration process to Canada. We specialize in cross-border Business Visitors, Temporary Resident Visas, Work Permits, Study Permits, Temporary Foreign Worker applications, Caregiver applications, LMIAs, Spousal Sponsorships, Express Entry, Permanent Residence, PNP, Green Cards, Permanent Residence Cards, NEXU.S. Passes, Citizenship, TN Nafta, L-1s and much more. Our attention to detail and client preparation makes the journey smoother.

Ackah Law Passport for Crossing Borders Seamlessly
Call Today: 1 (800) 932-1190

Does Nearshoring Tech Jobs Help Build A Stronger Canada?

The Toronto Star ran an article questioning, What is ‘nearshoring’? Is it good for Canada — or is our immigration system just bailing out Silicon Valley? Our Canada business immigration ...

Read More

What Are the Best Options for Hong Kong Residents to Move to Vancouver?

Hong Kong's new security laws went into effect on July 1, 2020, and give China more authority over Hong Kong's governance and residents. Vancouver, Canada has strong connections ...

Read More

How Tech Immigration Is Helping Canada During the Global Slowdown

During the pre-COVID global slowdown, Canada's immigration policies helped strengthen the countries economy. Canada has put into place programs to increase economic immigration ...

Read More

Indian Tech Workers Targeting Canada Tech Employers

Tightening United States immigration regulations are making Canada the first-choice destination for highly skilled and educated Indian technology workers. 85,000 Indian immigrants ...

Read More

H-1B Visa Denied? Try Nearshoring to Canada!

Fewer skilled foreign workers are able to get an H-1B visa, and businesses are looking for alternatives. A new H-1B process went into effect in 2020, including an additional USCIS ...

Read More

Episode 11: Can You #Megxit to Canada? How Brits and Americans Can Move to Canada

Right now there's a very active hashtag going around called #Megxit. It relates to Meghan Markel and Prince Harry and their rumored move to Canada and departure from the royal family. ...

Read More

Featured Resource

Calculate Your Express Entry Score

Are you qualified to move to Canada? Express Entry is Canada's skilled-worker immigration application process for high-skilled foreign workers and international students who ...

View Resource

Forbes Bros. Ltd. chose Ackah law as our immigration specialist for several reasons:

1. Competence: As immigration, permanent residency and the temporary Foreign worker program are necessary to our business we are not in a position to use a less than fully qualified service provider on these files.

2. Responsiveness: When you are dealing with the lives of people, there is nothing more important to that individual at that moment than his or her immigration issues, responsiveness to this, and an appreciation of the employee’s position is key.

3. Attitude: The thing I like best about Ackah law is the attitude and can-do spirit of the staff. Evelyn and her team show us what a small group of dedicated individuals can do. IT is the first time in a long time that I didn’t feel like a billable hour in a lawyers office.

– Doug Elniski, Vice President - Human Resources

View All Testimonials