NAFTA Professional Work Permits for Canadian or Mexican Citizens – TN Visa

NAFTA or the North American Free Trade Agreement has created a unique opportunity for Canadian and Mexican citizens interested in entering the United States for professional work. The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.  Contact us today at (403) 452-9515 Ext. 107 or 1-800-932-1190 or email us directly.

The specific professions that can use the TN visas include:

Of course, it is not strictly the profession that determines if you qualify for a TN visa, you must also meet the following requirements:

Interestingly enough, there are further refinements in the guidelines based on your citizenship. Those who hold Canadian citizenship will need to obtain a TN visa. This is something that can occur at the time you enter the U.S. You will need specific documentation to present to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer. This includes:

When you meet the criteria, a CBP office may admit you to the U.S. with your TN nonimmigrant visa. Naturally, it may seem like a bit of a risk to appear at the border and hope all goes well. This is why so many people from Canada will get in touch with an immigration expert ahead of time, enabling them to be fully prepared long before arrival at the U.S. border.

Mexican citizens will need to obtain a TN visa from the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Mexico. Approval of this visa allows for admission into the country via designated stations.


Obviously, there are some issues that can develop around the TN visa, and whether you are a Mexican or Canadian citizen it is best to have those questions answered long before you book your visit. A qualified expert is an essential resource for an easier visa process.

Contact us today at (403) 452-9515 Ext. 107 or 1-800-932-1190 or email us directly.